Thursday, 8 March 2012

Carrot, Orange Juice and Raisin Muffins

Since moving into my new home, I have made muffins three times.Twice with ripening bananas and once with carrots.  For once, I was able to bake and share them with family.  In the past the muffins used to last us about a week, either  for working breakfasts or tea breaks.  

The last lot of carrot muffins I made was just before Christmas and they contained fresh ginger, well this time - its fresh orange juice. Sure to wake you up.
I am still getting used to the electric oven.  I am noting some uneven golden baking and one of the batches had been overdone in less than 20 minutes of baking.  I also don't like the fire alarm in the kitchen, its so blinking sensitive.   
I forgot to mention in my kitchen garden post that there is also a bath in the garden to be disposed off. I think we will be keeping it back for recycling and using it potentially as a carrot tub. D is keen to grow carrots once again. Like tomatoes, carrots home-grown taste completely different from those you get at the supermarket and even at the farmers markets.  Homegrown by far are superior.
Carrot, Orange Juice and Raisin Muffins
Makes 12
Ingredients
280g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
110g golden caster sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 large orange
Juice of the orange, add water to make up a total of 180ml
110g carrots, grated
90ml vegetable oil
65g raisins
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190'c.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, soda, salt and cinnamon. 
In another bowl, beat the egg with a fork.  Add orange rind, orange juice, sugar and carrots, followed by oil.
Pour all of the liquid mixture into the dry.  Stir until just combined, adding the raisins to the end. 
Spoon into muffin tins.  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until the tops spring back when pressed and a toothpick comes out clean.

25 comments:

  1. These sound so good and obviously healthy with all that fruit in! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will give these a go at some point, thanks for sharing.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well those carrots won't taste soapy will they...(teasing). Great idea growing them in a tub and why not!!

    I love the chocolate color muffin papers, very classy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would really like to try these. They would be great for Cooper's lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrot and orange go so well together, and I like that you have incorporated the flavours together into a muffin. On Masterchef last night they made carrot cakes with thyme icing - I thought that sounded interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been watching Masterchef much this year. The format has put me off a little, plus the moving home got me out of sync. Does sound interesting though.

      Delete
  6. Yum! These sound just lovely, I cant wait to give this flavour profile a try.
    I'm totally jealous of your garden- keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will def. keep you all updated :)

      Delete
  7. I bet these muffins didn't last long.
    Just found an old packet of carrot seeds while clearing out a cupboard and decided to plant them - hopefully we will get some produce from this old packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've planted a numbe rof seeds this year out of date, so here's hoping for the both of us.

      Delete
  8. I have to ask you, what is the pie(?) in your banner next to the dragon? What ever it is it looks yummy!
    Thanks
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Here's the link to the recipe on my blog. I created it not that long ago.

      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegan-laver-bread-mushrooms-and-puy.html

      Delete
  9. These muffins look fantastic Shaheen - your muffins so often enter my imagination and make me want them oh so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you do make me smile Kari
      :D

      Delete
  10. Oh! I have to make this! And I dream with grow my own carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can grow your own carrots oneday x

      Delete
  11. Sound lovely - will try these. Going back to your previous posts, which I am just catching up with ... your new home looks and sounds lovely. Hope you are happily settled in now. M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you M.
      Slowly but surely settling in x

      Delete
  12. The muffins look lovely I will have to give them a try.

    You are so right about the taste of home grown carrots. There is a house not far from me with 2 baths in the front garden and in the summer they are full of bedding plants. The colour does be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cookie Jar.
      My husband is still snugging at the thought of keepign the bath back, he thinks it will make the garden look ugly. I have to convince him otherwise. Putting some companion flowers with the carrots may be the way to go.

      Delete
  13. I grow carrots in an old bath! It is brilliant - no carrot fly, and I put a bit of fleece over them on hoops to make sure, and easy to weed. I get really good crops. It does look odd though. I painted it with silver hammerite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane Rowena.
      Your comment is very encouraging. Looking forward to growign carrots without the dreaded csrrot fly. Makes carrots taste horrid don't they.

      Delete
  14. Yummy, those flavours go so well together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen