Thursday, 1 March 2012

'Welsh Dragon' Pastry Pie

I have to lull myself back to blogging and what a way to start.  Celebrate both being back in Wales and celebrate St David's Day.  I am of course wearing my daffodil, though its starting to look a bit limp now. 

I was going to make some Welsh cakes; and put a twist on them, perhaps using some dark or white chocolate to appeal to the nephews and nieces.  But on my way back from the employment agency this morning, I was coaxed by the smell of freshly griddled Welsh cakes from the market, that I just had to go in and get some and whilst still warm, tuck into right away.  Oh they were so easy to eat.  So light and melt into your mouth like sweet warm shortbread crumbs.    
I've written about from Sant Dewi aka St David: The National Saint of Wales before, so I won't do a repeat post.  If your interested see here, but what is worth repeating is that Saint David was a vegetarian.  Interesting fact as Wales is now known for its vegetarian cuisine.  Saying that though, there are a handful of famous Welsh vegetarian recipes: Welsh Rarebit, Leek and Potato Soup,  Glamorgan Sausages,  Leek and Cheese Flan, Anglesey Eggs, Penbryn Cheese Pudding, Laverbread in its purest form  and one that is not really Welsh but often gets associated with Wales is the 'Red Dragon Pie'.   Oh I am guilty of it too.  I made my own version of Red Dragon Pie a long while ago.   

So what have I got to share with you on this rather nippy, yet fine sun-shining day.  I must admit I have made a 'Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pie', but I have decided to share a pie I made a few months back when I was still in Scotland.  I played with my Welsh Dragon cookie cutter.  Instead of making cookies, I decided to use it for the shortcrust pastry casing; and for the other I made castle turrets (see back photo in photograph below).  I have to admit both were a little fiddly, as on baking the pastry flopped, so a bit more  experimenting before its made to my full satisfaction.  Still the result impressed me enough to share with you all. 

If you want more Welsh Recipes to celebrate St Davids Day in style, well check out my sidebar or follow this link for some inspiration.      
D is presently with me in Wales, though he will have to travel back and fro to Scotland regarding the sale of the flat.  He has been teasing me about my Welsh accent, saying that it's like I've never been away from Wales.  Those of you who don't live in Wales, may be interested to note that the BBC in Wales are currently showing 'The Story of Wales' - fine timing for me.  I am so looking forward to rediscovering my  playground.  I may even get to visit the village with the longest name in Britain - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - very unlikely.  I only wish I had known about it when I lived in North Wales.  Still plenty of new places to explore.

Anyway, this evening, I won't be listening to Welsh icons like Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey, nothing against them,  I am just of a different generation.  Instead it will be the Sterephonics and Manic Street Preachers for me.

24 comments:

  1. happy st davids day! where have you moved to?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your evening - and it's nice to here that you have moved back to where your heart is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen,

    Happy St David’s Day! Love your dragons and turrets. I didn’t know St David was a vegetarian so I’ve learnt something new too. Looking forward to more fab recipes and all the best on the job front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. I like the dragon a nice touch to the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pastries! That is a terribly cute idea for the crusts, but I do have an unrelated question. What is the red dragon pot in your banner image at the top of the site, and where did you get it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Celtic Chrys,
      Nice to make your acquaintance. Shhhh don't tell anyone but its actually a money box that i nicked from one of my nephews. I have no idea where they got it from, but thought it fitted my blog transition header from Scotland to Wales nicely.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant pies, the dragons and castles look great. Hope you are enjoying south wales, we have come to love it over the last 10 years. loving Hugh on the BBC, also Richard Wilson in his old ford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Richard Wilson, when I was at Uni at Glasgow he was the Rector there.

      Delete
  7. happy st david's day - that dragon pie looks fantastic - and now that I know that St David was a vegetarian it is another reason to try some welsh cooking - glamorgan sausage has been on my to do for a long long time! sounds like you are enjoying being back in wales - hope the flat gets sorted soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna,
      The flat is a bit of a nuisance. Really wish it was sold. I will be coming on over later to catch up with my missed blog reads. Do hope that you and your little family are all well.

      Delete
  8. Happy St. Davids Day, didn't realise he was a veggie until reading your blog.
    What a lovely selection of recipes in this post, you have some great things I want to try out.
    Wishing you all the best in your new home. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not born in Wales, but my relatives were (Grandma in Fishgard). I visited there once in the 60's. I for one would be very interested in you talking about Wales in and around your food blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen.
      There will def. be plenty to share about parts of Wales. Catch up here of my other Welsh ventures, before the new ones begin.

      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Parts%20of%20Wales

      Delete
  10. Hello Shaheen: I'm glad you are posting recipes again. I' m trying to eat healthier and your blog is so useful to me and my family. More than useful, it's so complete, well ilustrated, the best blog ever!The dragon cutter is unique! Love. Verónica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Veronica.
      You know your comment means a lot to me.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for your lovely comments, Shaheen. I wasn't aware Wales had a history of vegetarian leaders and cuisine. I actually did a school report on Wales long ago when a relative of my mother's produced some information regarding family genealogy that showed antecedents from Wales and other points in the UK.

    I hope you'll enjoy your new home and allotment.

    xx

    e

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to have you back xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. you seem to have many talents ! nice to share them reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how proudly Welsh you are - I've scribbled down a long list of things to acquaint myself with! I'm of a little Welsh descent myself (or so I'm told) but I don't know anything about culture and cuisine.

    Off the top of your head - do you have any vegan-friendly recipes I just *have* to try? Welshcakes are one of my favourites and I'm determined to try laverbread. I love seaweed in its Korean and Japanese guises - if you like spicy/salty food I would really recommend trying Korean laver soup sometime, they cook it in this fantastic clear, savoury base, so it's really light but satisfying too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so so much Tor Ince.

    I am of South Asian heritage but born and bred in Wales. I've recently returned to Wales after years of living in Scotland.

    There are not many vegan friendly Welsh recipes, to be honest there are not that many vegetarian ones either. Those on my blog, many have been created by myself esp. those using laverbread.
    See
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/welsh-laverbread-vegetable-suet-pudding.html
    and
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegan-laver-bread-mushrooms-and-puy.html

    Both these are vegan friendly recipes.

    The one recipe that does come to mind is Laverbread cakes, which can be made vegan.
    http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Veg%20Accompaniments/welsh_laver_bread_cakes___veg___.htm

    You can easily half the quantity.

    By the way, can you give me the recipe for the Korean Laver Soup, may give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the detail on those dragon pies! Hope you are settling nicely in your new home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen